Friday, March 28, 2008

Version 1.5

So today/tonight I am going to roll out the newest version of my framework.. there are less errors, and more error handling. Before, when an error occurred, it did not bubble up. It just triggered other errors so It was FUBARing up all my reports. However, now all my errors bubble up so when there is an error (HAHA like that would happen) it will give me a much clearer reason for having an error. I demo-ed things all day today to make sure that it was going to work, and fixed any little errors that occurred from the 'switch' so now I will move all the files from Server 1 to Server 2 and we will be in a good place!

Now I have to get my capstone proposal written and submitted, then I can work on the design of the visualizer.... T- 56 days till graduation, and 44 days till I want to have this all done. I think i can, I think I can, I thi....

Monday, March 17, 2008

Then the Gods said.... let there be errors...

Sooo.... the frame work went live on Thursday the 13th of march, and Errors started rolling in Friday the 14th. As we all know there are going to be errors, and as far as errors go, these aren't that bad. It turns out that two errors happen with my framework (that I know about) First, if you try to upload an avatar that is too big (so rather than 100 x 100, they put 200 x 200) then it throws an error. Also it would appear that if they do not specify a recipient during a private message then it throws an error. I am going to attempt to remedy this situation soon. After this, I am going to try to come up with some more creative error handling to be more specific when Errors are thrown. Then I am going to start planning out the visualizer then graduate and get a job.... Wow this is just moving a bit fast huh?

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Coding Done pt2

Wow, so ya I just finished the coding for the data collection. I know previously I said I finished, however I forgot about 3 main keys, accounting for people closing the window instead of logging out. This was fixed over the past week. At first I used onBeforeUnLoad... and well if you read the post below, you can see how that turned out. After that I switched to onUnLoad which worked fine for sending one var back and forth. If I used more than one var, and closed the window it crashed on me. After much researching it turned out it was an async problem. So after some fussing around and re-working the way I handled my JS calls everything seems to be in working order.

Now I have finished posting all my new code to the prod Server so it is all ready for Monday! Hopefully everything worked and will work how its suppose to, and God Willing when/if any errors do occur, I can find them swiftly and vanquish them!

Tuesday, March 4, 2008


onBeforeUnLoad can go to hell and die.... words can not express how my BRC is rising (Blood Rage-ohol Content). So it turns out, that it is not worth using onBeforeUnLoad instead of onUnLoad. One of my teachers referred me to that for the 'IE crowd', this has caused so many screw up its not even funny. The things in the function that is called from this event will work erratically at best, unless you have an alert in there. I realize that this is most likely a timing issue or even compatibility. So what happened was I would call this function from onBeforeUnload, and it would or would not my one line of AJAX code (jQuery). This caused me to put in an alert to test it out, the alert would always fire, and my AJAX would successfully execute. Take out alert, call fails. Now I have said 'forget about that noise just use onUnLoad' and everything works peachy, including in IE. So the moral of this story... use onUnLoad unless you are POSITIVE people will ONLY be using IE