Friday, April 25, 2008

Final write up

So this exciting adventure is coming to the end. As of right now there are about 29 days and 5 minutes left till graduation. I am began my final write up about a week ago, and I am currently working on it right now. I am to have a rough draft finished tonight so I may hand it out to my advisors and get feed back / have it torn apart with comments. This being the case, hopefully I will be able to have the final final writeup done in 2 weeks after that then have my final defense, and finally be done. Wow, my stomach is flippin just a bit while I type this out :/ oh well it will be done, then I will go to my new job and start a new section of my life. (wow I sound emo.. oh well)

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

More Errors!!!!!

Soo... This always happens with upgrades, I go and create more error handling (as stated in previous post) and more errors happen (with more accuracy!!!). I just finished fixing a bunch of errors that were little one line things, like forgetting to set something to true etc.

Then there was one major issue that made my gmail cry like a little girl, something like 600+ emails in about 2 hours. thats about 300 emails in 1 hour, 150 in 30 minutes, 75 in fifteen, 32.5 in 7.5 minutes etc...

So here is what happened:

First, the version of Joomla that I had, had not gotten up to date recently. So I updated that and this fixed the problem when you had tried to create an initial account, and it through an error. This was also the cause for the error after you clicked the link in your email. This part was not my fault directly, I should have checked for an update, but other than that it was just a bug in their program.

Secondly, the error that caused all of the errors in my Email... I have written everything in a language called PHP. In PHP you can have variables, think of these as boxes that can hold things such as names, or numbers. You say $someVar = "hi"; This puts the word hi in the 'box' $someVar. What I did was say: $tempObj = "something"; print $temObj; This would throw an error in any other language cause the word $temObj had not been previously assigned, however PHP will not do this. Thus, It messed up.

However, everything works now, so yay!!

Tuesday, April 8, 2008


So, once upon a time I figured out what my Master project was going to be and spoke with various teachers to see who was interested. I already knew one (Chris) becuase he was the one that suggested it to me. The project was time sensitive meaning it had to be done by the beginning quarter of Spring. So with some preliminary research I went and worked on it. With about 5 weeks left till Spring, both of my instructors came and queried me about the status of my proposal, to which I replied "Look, you can have working code by dead line, or a proposal... your choice" so thus it was decided that I would go and complete code, then move to the proposal when I completed the coding. So here I am , writing this forsaken proposal. That is what I am doing... oh what fun...